Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Islamic Way of War

As Andrew Bacevich writes in the September 11 edition of The American Conservative: "It’s time for Americans to recognize that the enterprise that some neoconservatives refer to as World War IV is unwinnable in a strictly military sense. Indeed, it’s past time to re-examine the post-Cold War assumption that military power provides the preferred antidote to any and all complaints that we have with the world beyond our borders." While I disagree with Mr. Bacevich that there is anything uniquely Islamic about the "way of war" being fought by insurgents and terrorists in the Middle East, I think his larger point is well taken. There are a number of politicians in this country--mainly self-identified "conservatives"--who believe that conventional military force can reshape that region of the world to our liking. I disagree. We certainly have the ability to destroy any number of regimes we don't like, but when it comes to the harder work of building stable, peaceful democracies in a climate of age-old ethnic and religious violence--and somehow expecting that if only the American people can toughen up and quit whining, our conventional military forces can prevail in that task--we are relatively powerless and horrifically naive. It's not that I think the president's vision of a democratic Middle East is all bad; it's that I think his strategy for realizing that vision is flawed. No amount of open-ended occupations and conventional military force alone will ever produce the results he wants, nor will they produce the results that Israel wants in Lebanon.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I was doing a Blogger common interest search of 'Lord of the Rings' and ran across the blog of a person in Austin. The accompanying profile strikes me as a person I am very familiar with. Are you? I will not detail any further into that one.

But nonetheless, as I'm reading your blog, I'm rather intrigued by the 'politi-sophical' perspective. There are not many people that I've come across in this area so far that present and/or discuss any pardon, but half-ass decent political perspectives without it turning into a party affiliation/militaristic ideas/all out debate of some sort. Again I say, it's been rather intriguing to flip through and read here.

Have a good evening.

Eric said...

Hah hah.. small world. You've stumbled across my terrible little secret. Don't tell the others.

Yeah, you won't discover much in the way of partisan political views here. I'm an old-school conservative more influenced by the likes of Burke and Tocqueville. Russell Kirk has written some good books about the intellectual history of conservatism, like "The Conservative Mind" and "The Roots of American Order." It doesn't have much in common with contemporary "conservatism."

Good luck this semester!